I know, you’re probably tires of everybody doggin on sugar like it’s the founding member of the apocalypse. I get it. BUT, I do have to point out a few key things that we may KNOW but don’t really let sink in. Come along for the rise and I’ll make kicking sugar a bit easier for you. Here are a few things sugar does to your health, mind and body:
- Sugar IS a main culprit in processed foods and we all know we should be staying away from those.
- Excessive sugar intake causes chronic fatigue
- Sugar causes WRINKLES! Hello?!?!?! Step away right now…..
- Sugar can worsen inflammatory diseases, such as arthritis or any itis really
- Sugar is highly addictive (duh)
- Sugar gives a quick high, followed by a crash…this is an instability in your blood sugar. Blood sugar directly affects hormones and hormones affect EVERYTHING
- Sugar can cause weight gain or instability in weight which can lead to diabetes, heart disease and certain cancers
- Cancer cells FEED on sugar…..yeah, sugar is the preferred nutrient of cancer cells and we all have cancer cells. Do you really want to give them unlimited amounts of nutrients?
So, am I just supposed to go completely sugar-free?!?!?!?!
Well, there’s a catch here. If you depend on products that are labeled “sugar-free” then you are inviting all kinds of other nasty chemicals into your body. Nature has some natural sweets that you can incorporate to keep your sweet tooth under control, and I’ll get to those in a bit. FIRST, 3 simple ways to tell if you have a sugar problem:
- You crave something sweet following dinner (or lunch, breakfast or snacks)
- You reach for your favorite sweet when having a bad day.
- You stuff salty foods down the hole like there’s no tomorrow. Believe it or not, salty foods do trigger the same response and many have a higher sugar count than you think.
- Dates (these will make a GREAT sweetener for recipes)
- Starchy veggies (hello sweet potatoes!)
- raw honey (moderation is key here)
- coconut sugar
- rapidura (a natural form of sugar)
- Stevia (if you dig the after taste)
Are you ready for the great CHALLENGE? Here’s what you need to know…
Studies show that we reach goals faster if we have an accountability group (who here LOVES Weight Watchers? That’s why.), so we’re going to create a LARGE group to kick sugar in the butt and out of our gut. You can come to this blog once a week in September for weekly recaps and fun recipes. I admit, sugar has crept back into my diet and this is really just my selfish way of getting it out again So, here is what you do:
- Follow me on Instagram as that is where the majority of the posts will be. Don’t have an INsta? Neither do my kids. You can follow along on Twitter OR FB, but if you’re reading this then you probably already do.
- Take pics (I don’t care if they’re pretty!) of your sugar-free inventions, foods you’ve been shocked to find contain sugar, kids giving you scowling looks because you’re taking their sugar away, whatever! Tag me in your pics: @michellecfitness for insta @michellecfit for Twitter and HASHTAG #sweetenough #downwithsugar
- Commit to this for the WHOLE month of September! I promise you will feel so much better and have loads of extra energy.
- Don’t be stingy. If you find or come up with a great recipe, share it with us! You may even find yourself featured on the blog
It’s pretty easy right? We’re all involved in social media, so let’s use it to create a healthy wave! Commit to change and kick sugar! Who’s with me?