I have to share some truth with you today: I too suffer from instant gratification want! This is especially bad when I’m looking into new programs or trying to change my body composition. There are many times when I feel as though my body should just comply since I’ve been doing this for so long! Sadly, that isn’t the way it works though…
As I sit here sharing this I am surrounded by reminders of my commitment. There is a cup of black coffee to my right and a food log to my left. This weekend I was forced to do some pretty hard studying into my own personal habits AND re-visit trusting the process. Here’s one of my best kept secrets: I am really good at maintaining. Change is difficult for me, but maintaining I can totally do. Well, a few weeks ago I decided to change things up. My body had become accustomed to my regular workouts and my food was clean, however the portions were out of control. Therefore, I maintained. I made the executive decision that I was no longer satisfied with maintaining and that I needed a new challenge to change some things. SO…I issued the flat abs challenge to you and changed my workouts. Here is pretty much how my week goes when these things happen:
- MONDAY: feeling good with the new workouts and pumped about the challenge before me.
- TUESDAY: sore is good (I actually do believe this) and I’m fueling for the fight.
- WEDNESDAY: morning cardio is rockin….afternoon, not so much even though it’s a much shorter workout.
- THURSDAY: feelin FINE! I feel slim, trim and strong. I’m slipping on clothes with NO problem…so, a few glasses of wine at Thanksgiving are cool
- FRIDAY: Aside from dragging this morning, the workout was good and I’m ready for family time…this means several hours in a car and then a movie theater. More wine to commemorate the moment.
- SATURDAY: Seriously?!? Tony Horton drives my crazy and I HATE this workout! It’s stupid and makes me feel uncoordinated. Who comes up with this stuff? Later….I hit a way too intense workout in the gym just to get it out of my system. BY NIGHTFALL: oh yeah, inflammation is setting in and my body thoroughly hates me….I blame Tony.
- SUNDAY: yeah….jeans are too tight, shirt feels tight, I feel like a blob. Why? I lack in trust….
Can I get a witness from anybody who has been there? By the way, P90X2 is one of my workouts and it is EXTREMELY well sequenced, but it is challenging. So what are the problems here? Allow me to let you into my world.
- I’m fueling a lot, but not really correctly. I’ve been stressed out with work and eat as a means to avoid work or conquer boredom. Wow, it’s so freeing to say that
- I don’t trust that my workouts are working. This is stupidity really, and I find myself prone to it. Your workout will work, however it is the SMALLEST portion of your results and your day. Your food (and mine) is what makes the difference.
So, what’s my plan?
Pretty simple. I pulled out the old spiral, set alarms on my phone for meal times and adjusted some of my foods based on my goals. I am trying to drop about 10-12 pounds and basically fit into any pair of jeans in my closet. In order to do this, I have to take my calories down a notch since they are clean to begin with. I have also taken more notice in how foods make me feel. Salads give me loads of energy, bread strips my energy. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure these things out, you just have to be willing to see them. My beloved coffee creamer is out until Christmas (if I even want it then) and NO MORE WINE until then either. Hold me to that would you?
Small adjustments lead to big results. Take it one step at a time, one day at a time and TRUST THE PROCESS!