One of my very favorite continuing education courses I ever invested in is my MMA Strength and Conditioning coach certification. It takes regular strength and conditioning up a notch and provides a fat blasting, metabolism boosting workout that flies by and leaves you drenched. In other words, it’s the most efficient workout I have in my arsenal.
MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts and is a buzz word due to the popularity and success of fighting for sport, which has been around longer than most other sports. Fighters are lean, strong, and functionally fit. Why? Because of the way they train. A fighter doesn’t split body parts, but rather works the entire body in symmetry to promote a fully functioning fighting physique (say that 3 times fast). With MMA strength and conditioning workouts you are tacking the 3 pillars of fitness (cardio, strength, flexibility) in one workout. What kind of real-life benefits can you expect from MMA?
- Increased lung capacity
- Better body awareness
- Increased strength (all of my girls do MAN push ups now! )
- Decreased body fat (yay!)
- Increase lean muscle
- Increase calorie burn
- Increased EPOC (oxygen consumption post exercise; big for recovery and fat loss)
- Increased Flexibility
- Increased VO2 Max
- Increased self confidence, self efficacy, and general butt kicking awesomeness
Those are really the top 10, but there are many more. Are you sold yet?
There can be some concerns about embarking on an MMA journey. Some people tell me they just aren’t angry enough to hit things….that generally doesn’t last long. Once the gloves go on and the bag comes out, a little Hulk shows up in all of us. BUT, just to dissuade a few misconceptions take a look:
- You will not become an overnight fighting sensation and be taken from your family.
- You won’t randomly start fights….you’ll think about it, but you’ll know it’s stronger to control those emotions and use them in the gym.
- You won’t get big, bulky or start grunting when you move anything…unless you already do that.
- You won’t be challenged to fights by strange people lurking in alleys.
You’ll get leaner, stronger and have more energy than you thought you could have in just a few weeks. It’s worth the time and investment, plus you’ll learn some pretty cool tricks…like how to dislocate a jaw or knee
SOLD! Where do I sign up?
If you’re close to me (you lucky duck!), I run MMA sessions year-round. These sessions are 2x per week, 6 weeks with a limit of 4 people in each. If you’re interested, shoot me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org for info on the next open sessions.
If you’re more of a homebody, or you don’t live near me (don’t cry, it’s ok) try out an MMA inspired workout like Les Mill’s Body Combat. They do sell this through Beachbody OR you can check out www.lesmills.com to find a combat class near you.
Either way you go, have a BLAST burning calories, getting lean and staying mean
Cheers to health!